Would you get an NDSi in April
Kotaku and IGN report that the Nintendo DSi will finally reach American hands on April 4.
Given the promise of DSi games will you buy another DS? But before we get to that, Nintendo has to fix certain things about the DSi before they even bring to the US.
1. Battery life. The bigger screen and the smaller form factor has somewhat diminished it’s battery life as well. Thus bringing the handeheld into PSP battery life territory which isn’t good.
2. Cheap camera. Reason why I wouldn’t get an iPhone. Cheap camera. Reason why I got the Nokia N95, 5MP camera. Simple as thath.
3. No web browser. What’s with the camera and built in wifi and all if I can’t share it with my friends who aren’t near me.
4. DSi is region locked. I love games from both sides of the Pacific. Why does Nintendo have these limitations on the DSi. This is a first in their history of handhelds which did not have region locks until today. Region unlocked units would make it easier to sell units across the ocean without localization problems. And how many actual users really want Japanese games in the west? I wouldn’t get the game if I didn’t feel it was worth it. I’m still for region free gaming.
5. All this for $180. Yes $180. That’s $50 than the current DS Lite.
6. No GBA port. Yes, Japan thinks you won’t play GBA games anymore. That new Guitar Hero fret bar. Wont work. The rumble pack for Metroid Pinball? Wont work. The data expansion pack for Opera. Wont work. You just got screwed.
7. Wii points and DSi points are different. This means these are separate purchases. Wha?
So are you still going to get the NDSi. Maybe if you already own the original DS and DS Lite. But if this is your first DS, I wouldn’t recommend it. Just too many things so wrong about it right now. They should take their time to bring out the right product. Don’t rush out to buy this. As with other machines, the first generation is usually buggy. And this one is really buggy.